“Remembering the past and looking to the future“
Between 23 and 27 June 2014, ILAQ will host the World Indigenous Lawyers Conference at the Queensland University of Technology, Gardens Point Campus in Brisbane.
Held biennially the conference brings together indigenous lawyers and academics and those interested in understanding issues critical to the development of indigenous people.
The conference will consider a range of topics including relationship to land, indigenous knowledge, women and children, recognition of first’s nations peoples, economic independence, crime and criminal justice and human rights.
ILAQ President Joshua Creamer chairs the organising committee, comprising:
- Cassie Lang, Vice President and lawyer, Gilkerson Legal
- Gavin Scott, Partner, Ashurst
- Jim Gurry, Partner, Gadens Lawyers
- Brett Hartley, Senior Associate, King & Wood Mallesons
- Ken Barlow, Queensland Bar
- Anne Gately, General Manager, Queensland Law Society
- Marcelle Burns, Lecturer, Faculty of Law, QUT
- Wendy Cusack, Equity Officer, Faculty of Law QUT
In 2014 the annual National Indigenous Legal Conference will not be held as a separate event but will instead be combined with the World Indigenous Legal Conference.
Visit www.indigenouslawyersqld.com for more information.