Gamilaroi man Dane Zeeman, began his accounting practice in 2011. Born and raised in Toowoomba, Dane delivers taxation, small business support and audit services to clients throughout South East Queensland.
Dane says his biggest challenge in being in business is the massive commitment of time and energy. You can’t underestimate just how much time it takes to be in business, it’s always more than being an employee. Despite the energy it takes, Dane says
it’s important to be patient and remain focused on the long-term goals of your business.
While accounting is very competitive, Dane says,
with a focus on excellent customer service, we’ve built a great group of clients who refer more business to us.
We don’t always hear about customer service as a marketing strategy, but clearly it’s working for Zeeman Accounting.
Dane has a five tips for people new to business. They include:
- Do all the necessary research to know your industry, competitors and requirements for starting a business.
- Be prepared for ups and downs, and don’t take setbacks personally.
- Regularly monitor the business’ performance and be prepared to make adjustments along the way.
- Use technology and systems to create efficiencies and allow for business growth. This will also give you some time to enjoy life outside of the business.
- Make the most of opportunities to receive advice and support from mentors. Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
These tips will be very helpful to all new and existing Indigenous business owners. If you would like to connect with Dane, see the Zeeman Accounting on our Indigenous Business Directory.